Are you a jogger, runner, cyclist or adventure racer, and a Disney fan. Will 2015 be the year in which you combine your love of sport with a trip to Orlando to compete in one of the many sporting events organised in the area.
Did you know that every year Disney host several events throughout the year. There is fun for all the family, with a range of distances from the Diaper Dash (for the very little ones all the way up to a full marathon and lots of side events too. If you are crazy enough you can participate in the Goofy or Dopey challenges where you combine a number of distances over a few days you will get rewarded for your madness. There is also the Expedition Everest Challenge which combines a night time run and a scavenger hunt in Disney’s Animal Kingdom. We understand 2015 will be the last time this event will be held.
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 7 – 11 January 2015 (kids race entries still available)
- Disney Princess Half Weekend Marathon Weekend 19 – 22 February 2015 (kids race entries still available)
- Expedition Everest Challenge Weekend 1 – 2 May 2015 (On Sale 16 Dec 2014)
- Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend 6 – 7 November 2015 (On Sale 17 March 2015)
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 6 – 10 January 2016 (One Sale 28 April 2015)
- Disney Princess Half Weekend Marathon Weekend 18 – 21 February 2016 (On Sale 14 July 2015)
For more information and race applications go to the runDisney website. Races tend to fill up quickly so you might want to make a note in your diary of registration dates.
There are also numerous other local races, like the Celebration Marathon and Half Marathon, held in late January through the picturesque town of Celebration. There are adventure races and obstacle course runs, which have become hugely popular. Races like Spartan, Battlefrog and Tough Mudder are all held in local venues. Or if your interests run to orienteering, triathlon or cycling there is something for everyone.
So gather a group of like minded folk and choose your event. Then pick a nice MBC Vacation Villa home with a relaxing pool and spa to help work out the muscles aches when you are finished.
Just a sample of what might be in store if you were to sign up for one of the exciting local adventure races.