You may be wondering why I am posting a banana bread recipe here. Recently I posted on our Facebook page that one of the advantages of having a rental homes or villa over a hotel room, was the fact that you have a fully equipped kitchen where you can cook for the family rather than eating out all the time or you could bake some of your favourite treats. I offered the recipe for the wonderful banana bread I had baked that day and so here it is. Why not try it out and post a picture of your results on our Facebook page. Enjoy.
Banana Bread from the Avoca Cafe Cookbook 1
8oz/225g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
110g/4oz caster sugar
1 egg beaten
75ml/3 fl oz sunflower oil
a few drops of vanilla extract or essence
65g/2.5 oz pecan nuts copped
4 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
1. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
2. Mix in the egg, sunflower oil and vanilla but do not beat.
3. Fold in the pecans and mashed bananas, using a fork. Again, do not beat.
4. Spoon into a lined 900g/2lb loaf tin and bake in an oven preheated to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4 for 50-60 minutes, until the loaf is golden brown and springs back when prodded gently with your finger.
5. Leave in the tin for 10 mins, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.